I came across a new open source commenting system today called HashOver.
The project was released earlier this week under the GNU Affero General Public License with the goal of being a self-hosted open source replacement for proprietary comment system services such as Disqus.
I personally think that Jacob Barkdull, HashOver's developer, definitely full-filled the goal he was striving for with his project.
Even as a newly released project, HashOver comes with everything that you would expect a mature comment system to have and it is very easy to implement into your existing website.
- Light-weight and easily themeable
- Comment administration and Spam filtering (including referer checking and IP blocking).
- Comment sorting
- Comment permalinks and RSS feeds
- Threaded replies
- Email notification
- Avatar icons
- .. and more!
If you would like some more information on HashOver, check out the following links:
- Why I'm Reinventing Disqus
- Project Information and Documentation
- HashOver demo in PHP mode
- HashOver's Github page
Additionally, please feel free to test the system here on this site or on the demo sites linked above.